This is one of the easiest and greatest simple stats and tracking set of tools out there for tracking your site through google. You must have a google account before starting.
Google Webmaster Tools is a no-charge web service by Google for webmasters. It allows webmasters to check indexing status and optimize visibility of their websites.
It has tools that let the webmasters:
- Submit and check a sitemap
- Check and set the crawl rate, and view statistics about how Googlebot accesses a particular site
- Generate and check a robots.txt file. It also helps to discover pages that are blocked in robots.txt by chance.
- List internal and external pages that link to the site
- See what keyword searches on Google led to the site being listed in the SERPs, and the click through rates of such listings
- View statistics about how Google indexes the site, and if it found any errors while doing it
- Set a preferred domain (e.g. prefer example.com over www.example.com or vice versa), which determines how the site URL is displayed in SERPs
Google Webmaster Tool VS Google Analytics
Google Webmaster Tool shows traffic for each keyword separately, it gives more information about website performance according to Google search query. This tool does not cover search query result from others search engines, such as Bing, Yahoo, or Baidu.
Google Analytics shows total traffic of a website such as clicks to your site regardless of where they came from and what search terms were used. It shows whatever search terms brought up your site in the listings. While your keywords might be there too, many will probably be specific terms or long-tail search terms. There are probably even search terms where Google offered your site even though they don’t see a perfect match. If Google thinks the searcher meant something else, maybe they displayed your site for that word or term as a suitable match even though that word is not listed in Webmaster Tools as even being on your site.
Adding a site
See what kinds of sites you can add to Webmaster Tools
You can add up to 1,000 sites, including news and mobile sites, to your account. In addition, we’ll ask you to verify your site. This is because we need to know you own a site before we’ll show you certain information about it or enable you to use our tools. Verification doesn’t affect PageRank or affect your site’s performance in Google’s search results. (There are also special instructions for adding Blogger blogs andsites created using Google Sites.)
If you create blogs using Blogger, you can automatically add and verify sites by enabling Webmaster Tools directly from the Blogger dashboard.
To add and verify a site:
- Sign into Google Webmaster Tools with your Google Account.
- Click the Add a site button, and type the URL of the site you want to add. Make sure you type the entire URL, such as http://www.example.com/
- Click Continue. The Site verification page opens.
- (Optional) In the Name box, type a name for your site (for example, My Blog).
- Select the verification method you want, and follow the instructions.